Mon, 07 Nov|
Hafod y Llyn Isaf
Outdoor First Aid
Practical, no role play, scenario based 16 hr first aid course
Time & Location
07 Nov 2022, 09:00 – 08 Nov 2022, 17:00
Hafod y Llyn Isaf, Nantmor, Caernarfon LL55 4YN, UK
About the Event
The potential need to be a first aider is constant concern for outdoor leaders and instructors. Accidents are fortunately quite rare, but because of the environments in which we operate we do need to think carefully about how we might deal with incidents that could be potentially quite serious. This course will help you to not only learn, or refresh, the basic first skills and knowledge, but it will put them in an outdoor context where, for much of the time, we, our group and any casualty remain in some danger.
Special features of this course are
· I use PDF’s delivered to your mobile instead of PowerPoint led classroom sessions
· We walk through scenarios instead of painstaking role play
· Self-assessment takes place within groups of three (moderated by Mike). The underlying philosophy is that it is in everyone interests that everyone else is better at first aid than each other!
· The course is run on a ‘need to know’ basis. Is not theory or knowledge based it is practically delivered ‘on the hill’ with appropriate skills built slowly and meaningfully. Background knowledge and supporting sources are always available where needed, we’re just not going to sit through lectures.
· The focus is on what to do in an emergency scenario in a remote location and how to take the lead in such scenarios. It is on how to look after yourself, the group and the casualty. We learn why it is OK to feed our casualties and what to feed them on. We learn why it’s OK to move our casualties, how far to move them and how to move them.
· We will also consider mental health issues which seem to be on the rise.
· This is a 16hr Outdoor First Aid course as recommended by most outdoor organisations such as Mountain Training
· The course is a REC Outdoor First Aid (16hrs) course. The REC philosophy is for outdoor practitioners to deliver scenario based first aid courses
· Airway issues and CPR
· Taking the lead in first aid scenarios
· How to call for help
· How to deal with common illnesses and support with medications, allergies
· How to monitor a casualty
· Fractures, sprains and dislocations
· Mental Issues
· Post incident follow up
· Bites and stings
We will spend the day outside in a range of outdoor settings so come dressed as though you are going hill walking in whatever the prevailing weather conditions may be. You will need to bring a pack lunch. Tea and coffee will be provided, but you’ll need to bring a packed lunch.
You will receive a goody bag which we will use during the course, but will be free to take away afterwards. It will include: One 15cm crepe bandage, one triangular bandage, one wound dressing, one lightweight closed cell foam pad, 2 tick removal tools and a roll of duct tape in a 1l first aid dry bag.