Mon, 30 Jan|
The Moel Siabod Cafe
Outdoor First Aid
Practical, no role play, scenario based 16 hr first aid course
Time & Location
30 Jan 2023, 09:00 – 31 Jan 2023, 16:30
The Moel Siabod Cafe, Capel Curig, Betws-y-Coed LL24 0EL, UK
About the Event
The potential need to be a first aider is a constant concern for outdoor leaders and instructors. Accidents are fortunately quite rare, but because of the environments in which we operate we do need to think carefully about how we might deal with incidents that could be potentially quite serious. This course will help you to not only learn, or refresh, the basic first skills and knowledge, but it will put them in an outdoor context where, for much of the time, we, our group and any casualty remain in some danger.
Special features of this course are
· I use PDF’s delivered to your mobile instead of PowerPoint led classroom sessions
· We walk through scenarios instead of painstaking role play
· Self-assessment takes place within groups of three (moderated by Mike). The underlying philosophy is that it is in everyone interests that everyone else is better at first aid than each other!
· The course is run on a ‘need to know’ basis. It is not theory or knowledge based it is practically delivered ‘on the hill’ with appropriate skills built slowly and meaningfully. Background knowledge and supporting sources are always available where needed, we’re just not going to sit through lectures.
· The focus is on what to do in an emergency scenario in a remote location and how to take the lead in such scenarios. It is on how to look after yourself, the group and the casualty. We learn why it is OK to feed our casualties and what to feed them on. We learn why it’s OK to move our casualties, how far to move them and how to move them.
· We will also consider mental health issues which seem to be on the rise.
· This is a 16hr Outdoor First Aid course as recommended by most outdoor organisations such as Mountain Training
· The course is a REC Outdoor First Aid (16hrs) course. The REC philosophy is for outdoor practitioners to deliver scenario based first aid courses
Things that can happen, do happen and have happened.
Like - blisters, turned ankles, lower arm damage, common illnesses, preventing worsening, calling for help -when and how, manging hypothermia, leadership in first aid, moving a casualty and we’ll also flag up some emotional and mental health issues
We’ll then go on to things that might happen, but we really hope they don’t
Big falls, unconscious casualty, CPR and monitoring for a long time· We’ll look at accident procedure, bleeding and shock, spinal and other damage, then finish with stings and bites and First Aid kits
We will spend the day outside in a range of outdoor settings so come dressed as though you are going hill walking in whatever the prevailing weather conditions may be. We'll use the 'lean to' at the side of the Cafe for shelter when needed and as a base, but we'll go on walks from there too. The cafe will be open for drinks and food.
You will receive a goody bag which we will use during the course, but will be free to take away afterwards. It will include: One crepe bandage, one triangular bandage, one wound dressing, one lightweight closed cell foam pad, 2 tick removal tools and a roll of duct tape in a 1l first aid dry bag.